The Department of Surgery is one of the main departments involved in undergraduate medical education in the Faculty of Medicine. We have been involved in medical student teaching since the start of our clinical school in 1965.
Our teaching contribution starts the moment the students enter medical school i.e. pre-clinical Stage 1 & 2. Our curriculum being an integrated teaching module, we introduce clinical aspects of preclinical sciences during the first 2 years of their studies.
During the clinical Stage 3 blocks (Year 3-5), our students spend a total of 16 weeks in the department of surgery rotating among all the sub-specialties of the surgical discipline.
During their rotation in department of surgery, our students will be taught to:
- Clerk and follow the course of patients including investigation and management, preoperative assessment, operative procedures and post-operative recovery where appropriate.
- Learn to perform basic clinical procedures under supervision
- Be involved in planning for care and follow-up in the community after discharge from hospital.
- Be involved in communicating information to patients and relatives (though not as the sole provider of information).
- Attend and participate in clinical unit meetings, ward rounds and case presentations.
MASTER OF SURGERY
The Master of Surgery programme is a clinical coursework programme in which the research component comprises less than thirty (30) percent of the whole programme of study. The aim of the programme is to produce skilled practitioners in the field of general surgery with comprehensive skills, ethics and professionalism who can contribute to healthcare in Malaysia.
Dr Noor Hafizah Binti Hassan
Dr Noor Hafizah Binti Hassan
Dr Karthikeashvaren A/L Subramaniam
Dr Chieng Su Yiu
Dr Thanaaehiswari A/P Perumal
Dr Naveendran A/L Sidambram
Dr Wong Wei Jin
Dr Teoh Li Ying
Dr Wong Shu Shyan
Dr Ashraf Ahmed
Dr Devindran A/L Manoharan
Dr Kiran kaur A/P Amer Singh
Dr Cadersa Muhammad Ashraf
Dr Gerard Francis Lopez
Dr Lam Ruey Shyang
Dr Hoh Siew Yep
Dr Kumaresan A/L Supramaniam
Dr Chong Hoong Weng
Dr Sazalene Deliza bin Husaini
Dr Ng Hui Been
Dr Mohamed Rezal bin Abdul Aziz
Dr Lee Limi@ Limi Lee
Dr Mohana Raj A/L Thanapal
Dr Muhammad Ridwan bin Mirza Asfian
Dr Mohammad Azhar bin Anis Ahmad
Dr Gunaseelan A/L G.Durairaj
Dr Nor Elina binti Noor Shaari
Dr Chong Shun Siang
Dr Koong Jun Kit
Dr Toh Charng Chee
Dr Ausama A Malik
Dr Gireesh A/L Balasubramaniyam
Dr Lily Sofida Rahim
Dr Ahmad Nazran bin Fadzli
Dr Suniza binti Jamaris
MASTER OF PAEDIATRIC SURGERY (MPaedSurg)
In June 2005, the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Malaya introduced the Master of Paediatric Surgery programme. This course was approved by the Ministry of Higher Education and candidates are fully supported by the Ministry of Health through scholarships or paid leave granted to applicants for the whole duration of each course. This support has enabled many doctors in Ministry of Health hospitals to acquire formal specialist training in Paediatric Surgery, with a resultant increase in the number of practicing paediatric surgeons in the country. This programme has been instrumental in addressing the acute shortage of trained Paediatric Surgeons in the country and supports the national effort to reduce the morbidity and mortality of neonates, infants, and children in the country. This programme was also approved by the Malaysian Qualification Agency in 2012.
Dr Annabella Diong Xinhui
Dr Tan Yvonne
Dr Don Evana Ezrien Binti Shaadon Zubir
Dr Norhasnizah Binti Mohamed Zanyuin
Dr Jessmine Anntinea A/P Anthony Dass
Dr Nur Alis Binti Ramli
Dr Pigeneswaren A/L Yoganathan
Dr Nur Akmal Binti Ismail Muslim
Dr Nur Aini Binti Ahmad
Dr Poh Zhiling
Dr Koay Yeang Wee
Dr Tang Shung Ken
Dr John Emmanuel
MASTER OF NEUROSURGERY
To produce accomplished practitioners in Neurosurgery with comprehensive knowledge, skills, attitude and ethics, who can contribute to the needs of the national healthcare system in Malaysia
This is a 4-year, structured, conjoint clinical training program, primarily conducted in University Malaya, with the support of Ministry of Health, Malaysia
In campus students will spend all 4 years within UMMC, while out campus students will spend a minimum of 18 months in UMMC and a further 30 months in hospitals within the Ministry of Health
Dr Cham Chun Yong
PhD & MASTER OF MEDICAL SCIENCE (MMedSc)
The Department of Surgery, UM has always emphasized scientific methodology as the backbone and basis of clinical and surgical excellence. We have promoted the growth of high-quality surgical research since the establishment of this Department in Faculty of Medicine. Our Department is currently one of the biggest surgical departments’ in the country, encompassing all surgical specialties and subspecialties.
We are focused on evidence based clinical practice and research and encourage our academics to contribute to this endeavor to ultimately help us improve patient care.
- To produce accomplished researchers’ in the field of Fundamental and Clinical Surgical Research.
- To encourage academic, intellectual and clinical development
- To encourage ethical, good research practice and enhance communications skills
“These programme are based on individual supervised research. At the end of the candidate’s study, a thesis must be submitted. Upon successful defense of the thesis, the candidate will be granted a Masters or Doctorate degree by University of Malaya. All research proposals must be approved and supervised by the Faculty.”
SLAB / SLAI
‘Skim Latihan Akademik Bumiputera’ – SLAB and ‘Skim Latihan Akademik IPTA’ – SLAI – Both these programs were initiated in University Malaya to encourage the development of clinicians with an academic and research mindset.
This is a 4-year, structured clinical training program, primarily conducted in University Malaya, with the support of Ministry of Higher Education.
SLAB/SLAI been programmed created with the objective to:
- Increase the number of academic staff
- Fulfill the critical requirement of academic staff in related disciplines
- Improve the quality of teaching and learning at university
- This scheme is aimed at tutors, fellows and lecturers at IPTA seeking to complete a Higher Degree
- Each candidate has two agreements, namely with IPTA as the employer and MOHE on behalf of the Government. The duration of the contract in force depends on the period of study funded by the Ministry.
- Both agreements run concurrently unless the officer has the remaining contract period from the previous agreement or the transfer of the contract from another sponsor such as PSD, then the balance of the contract must be settled first starting from the date the officer reports after graduation.
- Failure due to breach of agreement will result in damages being imposed.